We are seeking Deckhands/Skilled Laborer II (Marine projects) in the Baltimore, MD and Philadelphia, PA areas.
Works onboard watercraft, such as barges, crew boats, push boats, and tug boats by performing the following duties.
TRAVEL AND SCHEDULE
- Schedule will vary from 40 hr/wk to 24/7 liveaboard operations depending on the type of work that the vessel is assigned to perform
- Travel will be required and/or living on vessel will be required when vessel is away from homeport
- Vessel’s Homeport is Baltimore, MD
- Tows may be assigned with short notice.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Handles lines to moor vessel to wharves, tie up vessel to another vessel, or rig towing lines.
- Handle pushing gear and mooring lines.
- Communicate via radio with Captain or Foreman giving distance and aids to navigation, as well as spotting obstructions and other vessels.
- Sweeps and washes decks to remove dirt, oil and debris; performs general housekeeping duties.
- Stands steering watches or lookout watches while underway.
- Moves controls or turns handwheels to tighten/loosen push cables.
- Loads or unloads material from vessels.
- Chip and clean rust spots on decks, hull and superstructure; prime and paint these areas.
- Lubricates machinery and equipment.
- Assists with performing maintenance of the vessel including caring for tools and equipment.
- Splices and repairs cables and ropes.
- Examines cables that holds vessels in tow and tightens cables to ensure vessels are snug.
- Works in a safe and responsible manner at all times.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
- Ability to follow directions;
- Handle lines to moor vessels;
- Handle basic hand tools, such as hammer, wrench, bar, ax, razor knife, etc.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Merchant Marine and Able-Bodied Seaman credentials preferred.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts and outside weather conditions. The work environment is on barges, boats and floating equipment, and accessing the work site may require climbing from barges, boats and floating equipment when they are at different levels above the water. The employee is regularly exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, risk of electrical shock, and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to high precarious places. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, occasionally loud.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. The employee must regularly work or walk on uneven ground on onboard floating equipment. Access and egress to barges, boats and piers requires ability to do so from moving surfaces due to water motion.
Kokosing offers a competitive compensation and benefits package including medical, life, and disability insurance, paid time off and a 401K plan.