American Commercial Barge Line is seeking an experienced and highly skilled Vessel Chief Engineer to join our maritime team. As a Chief Engineer, you will be responsible for the efficient operation and maintenance of our vessel's propulsion systems, machinery, and equipment. If you are a dedicated maritime professional with a proven track record of excellence, we invite you to apply for this exciting and rewarding opportunity.
When you join ACBL…
American Commercial Barge Line (ACBL) is one of the largest and most diversified marine transportation companies in the U.S. Our legacy of providing the nation with the most economical, safest, and greenest mode of transportation dates all the way back to 1915, when we began moving coal on the Kentucky River. We offer a wide range of career paths in both operations and support services. Whether you are interested in working on the river or in an office, we are always searching for the best of the best to join our ACBL team.
What you will be doing... YourIMPACT
- Oversee the daily operations of the vessel's engine room, ensuring the safe and efficient functioning of all machinery and systems.
- Plan and execute routine maintenance, repairs, and inspections of all engine room equipment and systems, including engines, generators, pumps, and auxiliary machinery.
- Report accurately the fuel, water, lube status, and consumption to the wheelhouse daily.
- Ensure strict adherence to safety procedures and regulations, including the use of personal protective equipment, and conduct safety drills and training for the engine room crew.
- Maintain accurate records of maintenance activities, spare parts inventory, and equipment performance. Prepare reports as required by regulatory authorities.
- Ensure that the engineer trainee assigned to the vessel receives maximum exposure to and instruction in a wide variety of engineering duties and report progress to the Mgr. of Boat Maintenance Vessel Training
- Be prepared to respond to emergencies, including engine room fires, equipment failures, and other critical situations, following established emergency procedures.
What We Are Looking For...
You will need to have:
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Preferred experience with electronic engines (CAT, GE or EMD 710)
- Valid driver’s license.
- Strong communication skills, verbal and written.
- Manage Maintenance Inventory
- Must possess the ability to work independently and with sense of urgency.
- Maintain an active TWIC.
- Proficiency in operating and maintaining vessel propulsion systems, including diesel engines and power generation systems.
- Strong knowledge of safety regulations and procedures related to engine room operations.
- Excellent leadership and communication skills.
- Ability to work well under pressure and make sound decisions in emergency situations.
- Familiarity with environmental regulations and best practices for reducing a vessel's environmental impact.
- Physical fitness and the ability to perform physically demanding tasks.
- Commitment to maintaining a clean and safe engine room.
Even better if you have:
- Vocational training or US Coast Guard License.
- Experience with electronic engines (CAT, GE or EMD 710)
Reasons you will love working at ACBL …
- Competitive salary and benefits package.
- Opportunity for career growth within our maritime division.
- Ongoing training and professional development opportunities.
- Safety-oriented work culture.
- 401(k) retirement plan with employer match.
- Employee Assistance Program.
- Well-maintained vessels and equipment.