The Chief Mate is second in command of the vessel; is a direct representative of Moran Towing Corporation (“Company”); and is responsible for administering Company policies and procedures. The Chief Mate is a supervisor for all crew members.
Specific Responsibilities include, but are not limited, to the following:
- Carry out all of the Captain’s lawful orders.
- Be fully conversant with the Safety Management System.
- On joining the vessel, review the current operational status of the vessel, if possible, with the off-going Chief Mate.
- Consult with the Captain regarding vessel operations, and, specifically, if the Chief Mate is unsure of how to handle a situation.
- Report unsafe situations and/or opportunities for improvement.
- Immediately report any violation or breach of regulations or Company policy to the Captain.
- Undertake maintenance responsibilities under the Captain’s direction, delegating responsibilities to other crew as required.
- Assist with training of the crew as directed.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Captain.
- Mate, Steam or Motor of not more than 1600 GRT/ 3000 ITC Near Coastal.
- Mate, Towing Vessels Near Coastal.
- STCW endorsement for comparable rating, Lifeboatmen or Survival Craft, GMDSS, VPDSD.
- Radar Observer.
- Tankerman-PIC (Dangerous Liquids).
- Current Medical Certificate.
- Valid passport.
- Valid TWIC.
- 15 years’ experience within the industry, including:
- 10 years as a Captain on smaller units; or
- 5 years as a Captain on comparable Moran vessels; or
- 10 years as a Chief Mate on comparable Moran vessels;
- Or 15 years as a Chief Mate on similar non-Moran vessels and at least one (1) year of experience as a Mate on Moran vessels.
- Proven satisfactory boat handling skills.
- Sufficient knowledge of routes to be navigated.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a maritime or related field.
- Good leadership, organizational, and record keeping skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Proficiency in MS Office.
Ability to work safely and navigate in a marine setting; walk, sit, or stand for extended periods of time; frequently reach with hands and arms; frequently crouch or stoop; climb/descend stairs and ladders; occasionally lift and/or carry up to 60 pounds; occasionally enter and work in confined spaces; travel a minimum of 50% of the year; and withstand exposure to environmental conditions such as heat, rain, cold and or/humidity.
IN RETURN, WE OFFER:
- Competitive compensation
- Career development opportunities
- Team-oriented work environment
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Health Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Company paid Life, AD&D, and Long-Term Disability Insurance Plans
- Employee Assistance, Health Advocate, and Wellness Programs
- Generous 401(k) Plan with employer non-elective, matching, and discretionary contributions
- Company paid Financial Advice Program
- Tuition Reimbursement Program