Assistant Dockmaster Summary
Bald Head Island Marina is currently seeking applications for a Seasonal Assistant Dockmaster. This is a seasonal/part-time first shift position, typically 9:30am-5:30pm. Military veterans are encouraged to apply
Assistant Dockmaster General Job Statement
Under general supervision, performs a variety of tasks to ensure a clean, safe, and inviting dock and marina area for the 170-slip Bald Head Island Marina, and the 49 slip Indigo Plantation Marina on occasion, various duties will be performed at the Deep Point Marina. Both Bald Head and Indigo Marinas are private yacht clubs managed by Bald Head Island Limited. Reports to the Marina/Yacht Club Manager and the Dockmaster.
Assistant Dockmaster Essential Functions:
- Assists marina guests with securing and fueling vessel; provides guests with information to orient them about the marina, facilities, and other commonly asked questions regarding BHI.
- Collects monies for fuel, slip rental, and other items for sale by marina convenience store Makes transactions using cash, checks, and credit cards via the Point of Sale computer system. Transactions may average 150 per day, for over 1100 SKU’s. Responsible for the proper office accounting and safe keeping of monies.
- Completes and submits daily sales reports and deposits.
- Sells and assists in stocking of marina store products. Cleans and helps maintain marina store as needed.
- Repairs water leaks, broken boards, loose cleats and other dock maintenance problems; surveys docks and power pedestals to ensure safe and proper operation.
- Must empty and dispose of garbage in marina garbage cans, daily.
- Operates a VHF marine band radio according to Coast Guard procedure to communicate with yachts, company vessels and other marine traffic.
- Answers telephone calls and responds to inquiries, takes messages forward calls.
- Records reservations for transients and long-term slip renters. Over 2,500 transient boaters served annually.
- Assists Marina Manager and Dockmaster with daily operations and paperwork.
- Oversees the purchase of fishing equipment; advises guests of popular fishing spots, line handling, preparation for adverse weather, proper securing of boat to dock, and/or proper fueling and environmental controls.
- Cleans and maintains dock office, laundry room, and bathhouse area.
- Also, must assist in policing non-permitted carts from Marina parking spaces.
- Performs semi-skilled and skilled maintenance work to facility and vessels.
Military veterans are encouraged to apply!
Assistant Dockmaster Additional Functions:
- Serves in a command and responsibility position in the absence of the Marina Manager and the Dockmaster.
- Maintains and assures information brochures are adequately stocked and displayed.
- Performs other related work as required.
Assistant Dockmaster Minimum Education, Training and Experience
- Graduation from high school or equivalent, six months of experience in a position dealing with the public, some knowledge of a marina or boating operation and two years’ experience in a marina operation preferred; or an equivalent combination of training and experience to provide the required skills, knowledge, and abilities.
Assistant Dockmaster Special Requirement(s)
- Possession of a valid North Carolina driver’s license.
- Requires the ability to exert up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 25 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects. This type of work usually requires walking or standing to a significant degree.