At our organization, we value teamwork and excellence in providing our clients with top-notch services. We are currently in search of a capable Tugboat Captain to join our crew. This role comes with the important responsibility of safely operating our company-owned tugboat and overseeing daily operations, including coordinating the activities of the boat crew, such as engine operation, navigation, and equipment maintenance.
- Ensure the safety and well-being of the crew working aboard the tugboat.
- Demonstrate effective leadership while fostering a collaborative team environment for smooth tugboat operations.
- Skillfully navigate and operate vessels using modern equipment like e-charts, radios, depth finders, radars, lights, buoys, or lighthouses.
- Expertly handle vessel docking and undocking, including maneuvering in tight spaces, such as locks.
- Maintain Vessel and Crew Certifications in accordance with US Flagging and Jones Act requirements.
- Adapt navigation plans based on prevailing weather conditions.
- Conduct thorough inspections of vessels to ensure their efficient and safe operation, adhering to Coast Guard inspection regulations.
- Perform equipment inspections and maintenance on boats, including engines, winches, navigational systems, fire extinguishers, and life preservers.
- Oversee the loading and unloading of supplies and act as the Person in Charge for fuel transfers.
- Assume wheelhouse watch duties on the assigned vessel.
- Ensure compliance with all state and federal regulatory requirements.
- Lead the preparation, management, and facilitation of safety meetings and drills, with a focus on maintaining an "incident and injury-free" work environment.
- Complete Job Safety Analysis (JSA) and Hazard Analysis as required.
- Delegate daily tasks to the crew to maintain operational readiness.
- Provide training and mentorship to crew members in deckhand duties and responsibilities during emergency scenarios.
- Uphold company and workplace safety policies and procedures.
Qualifications And Skills
- Proficiency in relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and security strategies.
- Knowledge of machines and tools, including their usage, maintenance, and repair.
- Minimum of 5 years of total experience, with at least 2 years in a Captain role.
Preferred Experience In Dredge Support Work And Anchor Handling.
- High School diploma or equivalent; a Bachelor’s degree is advantageous.
- Ability to work a rotational 12-hour watch.
- Availability for a 3-week on, 3-week off schedule, subject to revision as necessary.
- Capability to operate in challenging conditions, including rough seas, vibrations, heat, harsh weather, confined spaces, and high noise levels.
- Strong analytical skills and decision-making ability.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Willingness to adhere to and enforce company policies and procedures.
- Flexibility for travel and extended periods at remote site locations.
- Physical fitness to lift and carry up to 70lbs, push and pull with a peak force of 150lbs, climb stairs and ladders, and perform repetitive stooping, twisting, kneeling, and squatting.
Required Licenses And Certifications
- Merchant Mariners Credentials (MMC)
- Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC)
- Master of Self-Propelled Towing Vessels of Less Than 200 Gross Registered Tons Upon Inland Waters and Western Rivers (100 Ton Master of Tow Vessels Near Coastal/Oceans preferred)
- CPR/AED First Aid Certification
- Valid driver’s license