Guest Services Inc. is seeking a Naturalist/First Mate that has a customer-oriented approach in a fast-paced environment.
Candidates must display great leadership, excellent customer service, and attention to detail.
Boat Naturalists are expected to educate, inform and monitor all passengers during our 90 minute boat tours. Presenting information on marine mammals, birds and general ecology. The Naturalist is also the acting First Mate on the vessel, responsible to help the Captain in any way. Pre- and post-trip boat cleaning is also an important part of the tour. Some hours will be spent working at the cash register.
- Perform duties as First Mate to Captain, which may include the safety talk prior to vessel leaving the dock.
- Educate and inform guests about Everglades Park history including crocodiles, manatees and vast variety of birds.
- Monitor all passengers to assure they are comfortable and safe.
- Clean and prepare vessel pre and post trip.
- Responsible to continue learning new material on marine mammals, birds and the Flamingo area.
- Background in natural sciences preferred.
- Working knowledge of boats, and experience working on open water.
SKILL AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS INCLUDE
- Partial High School education; High School Diploma/G.E.D. equivalent preferred.
- Strong customer service abilities; actively looks for ways to assist customers and coworkers.
- People oriented, strong communication/public speaking skills, education experience or background.
- Strong work ethic and team-oriented skills are a must.
- Must enjoy educating diverse audience about wildlife and other subjects,
- Must adhere to company dress code.
- Subject to pre-employment and/or random drug testing.
- Available Saturdays, Sundays, evenings and holidays.
- Valid Driver's License
- Florida Boaters Safety Course
- Everglades Boater Education Course
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS
- Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly frequent movements from place to place within the unit. Bend, lift, carry, reach/extend arms and hands above shoulder height frequently, or otherwise move in a constantly changing environment.
- Reading and writing work-related documents in English.
- Speech recognition and clarity, including the ability to understand the speech of customers and co-workers and the ability to speak clearly so that you can be understood by customers and co-workers in English.
- Physical presence at the job site is essential to perform job duties.