Houston Pilots has an immediate opening for Deckhand, our entry-level crew position. Our deckhands work a 7 on 7 off schedule and go home at the end of every daily shift. All Deckhands in good standing are eligible to participate in the deckhand training program to prepare to become a boat operator. The boat operator positions are hired from the current crew.
Deckhand Role and Responsibilities
- Assists pilots embarking or disembarking.
- Successfully acquires and secures pilots bags/computers and transports items to requested room.
- Communicates with the Captain when a man is overboard as well assist the man overboard with a life vest and/or hoist them from the water. Responsible for keeping eyes on the man in water and reporting position.
- Conducts engine checks every 1 to 2 hours and report to Captain.
- Reports through Sinex any items needing attention in port.
- Responsible for light maintenance and emergency repairs
- Proactively address minor issues as possible before they become more significant or a threat to safety.
- Responsible for checking the following on each shift:
- All compartments to check rams and fittings for leaks.
- Check all welds for unusual appearance.
- All safety equipment on board.
- Check all boats at dock and keep clean and ready to go at all times.
- Check all restrooms and clean as required.
- Controls lines to moor vessel to wharves, tie up vessel to another vessel, or rig towing lines.
- Galley, wheelhouse, and bunkroom cleaning: sweep, mop, vacuum, take out trash
- Lowers and man lifeboat/rafts in case of emergencies.
- Cleans and ensures boat is sanitized at all times. Responsible for changing linens and brining the soiled linens to the dock in the yellow bag provided.
- Responsible for documenting grocery needs and requests on a regular basis and ordering per Port Captain procedures.
- Responsible for cooking breakfast, lunch, dinner, and special order meals at Pilots request as well as ensuring counters and kitchen is left clean.
- Responsible for acting as the temporary wheel man on Captain breaks.
- Maintain records in Sinex.
- Other duties and responsibilities as required or requested.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Mechanical aptitude a plus.
- Ability to write routine correspondence and keep accurate logs.
- Physical stamina, manual dexterity, and ability to lift up to 50lbs.
- Ability to cook and clean.
- Excellent judgment and discretion; ability to handle multiple priorities simultaneously, meet deadlines, and handle work- related stress is required.
- Proficient with computers and to learn Sinex software.
- Friendly, respectful, and customer service oriented. Ability to work with all types of personalities and communication styles.
- Recognize problems, identify possible causes and resolve routine problems.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule unannounced and as required.
- Ability to work in ever changing weather and hazardous conditions.
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Retirement plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- 12 hour shift
- Day shift
- Night shift
- Weekends as needed
- This is a 12 hour schedule which regularly requires unplanned overtime. Are you able to work overtime as needed?
- Do you currently live in the Galveston/Houston area or have plans to re-locate yourself here without company assistance?
- Do you have experience working on the water or extensive boat recreation experience?
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- TWIC Card (Preferred)
- Driver's License (Preferred)
- Day Shift (Required)
- Night Shift (Required)