This regional firm has a diverse range of unique capabilities, including a fleet of tugboats and specialized marine equipment and a large shipyard repair operation. Family-owned for four generations, the firm is large enough to provide a wide range of interesting projects and growth opportunities, but small enough to foster a warm, collegial environment. Its location in Charleston offers a range of attractive lifestyle options in addition to outstanding professional opportunities.
About the Job
- Required to possess qualities of expertness and dexterity in the domain of his/her pilotage area (inland and ocean) and must use careful navigating skills.
- Required to exercise reasonable care and maritime skill in performing towing services.
- Directs and is responsible for safe operation of vessel, tow, and cargo.
- Supervises crew members during vessel operating procedures and in demurrage ensuring company safety and environmental policies are followed.
- Successfully coordinate and maintain vessel maintenance with Port Engineer, and responsible for keeping maintenance records up to date.
- Responsible for general overall condition and upkeep of vessel.
- Must be familiar with specific types of vessel operating procedures and procedures for making horsepower/tow decisions.
- Must have knowledge of required vessel documentation and ensure that proper and valid documentation is carried aboard vessels.
- Required to know and have the ability to safely direct the STEVENS TOWING COMPANY, INC. FUELING PROCEDURES AND ENSURE THE SAFE AND CAREFUL HANDLING OF FUEL AND OTHER POLLUTANTS BY THE CREW.
- Responsible for pursuing an aggressive pollution prevention program.
- Required to have knowledge of vessel maintenance procedures/persons responsible for maintenance/maintenance schedules/ensuring responsible persons are trained and qualified for maintenance. Must also have knowledge of procedures to correct deficiencies identified during maintenance.
- Must be proficient in vessel inspection procedures/conducting in-house inspections and record keeping on a frequent basis. Must ensure responsible crew members are trained and qualified for conducting in-house inspections and record keeping. Must be able to ensure that crew members correct deficiencies identified during inspections.
- Responsible for and directing crew in preparation of a tow, assembly of the towing rig, inspection, maintenance and security of tow during transit. Responsible for ensuring that all rigging is adequate and that multiple tows are configured for optimum sea keeping ability.
- Responsible for conducting a fire and boat drill at least weekly with an entry in the vessel's official log book relative to each fire and boat drill setting forth the date and hour, length and time of the drill.
- It is the responsibility of the Captain to enforce Stevens Drug and Alcohol Policy by not tolerating any drugs, alcohol, or controlled substance aboard the vessel. The Captain is required to report any boat crew member who does not abide by the policy.
- USCG MASTER OF TOWING VESSELS LICENSE (clearly stated on USCG document)
- Radar Certification
- Driver's License
- First Aid and CPR
Barge handling experience a must!
Mariner applicants must be found fit for duty per United States Coast Guard or International mariner physical fitness requirements for employment. In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act, should you have a disability that requires assistance and / or reasonable accommodation with the job application process, please contact Human Resources at Stevens Towing Company, Inc.
- Salary commensurate with ability and experience
- Regular performance/pay reviews.
- Bonus potential
- Comprehensive benefits including medical/dental insurance, 401(k), and more.